Here are some reasons why I have loved being 30 and am looking forward to my 30's in no particular order...
1. I am FINALLY at a point in my life where I am financially stable. I know what it's like to come home with a baby girl in arms and the power, water, cable, etc. are cut off. I know what it's like to eat ramen noodles and spaghetti o's for dinner. I know what it's like to just about lose all your possessions when you didn't really have them to begin with. If you don't know what I'm talking about consider yourself lucky! My mom and dad did the best that they could to help me when I was in my early 20's but they could only do so much because they had bills too. I will never forget those days and they made me who I am today.
2. I own a home and couldn't be prouder. Home ownership is an awesome thing. It's part of the "American Dream" for crying out loud. We rented for a few years while Brian's house up north was on the market. Renting sucks. Sorry, but not really. When I was 8 months pregnant with Caleb our landlord informed us he was filing bankruptcy and we had 2 weeks to get out. Thanks, Jerkface! What'd you do with all that rent money we gave you on time every month? It all worked out but I don't want to worry with that anymore. I don't take a single day of owning this house for granted. Even though we worked hard for it we can lose it just as quickly as we got it.
3. I can cook and bake a little too. I can't tell y'all how many times I called my Meemaw all upset over cooking disasters. I learned the hard way that if you're gonna fry up some chicken you need to let the grease get hot. I know how to add egg whites just perfectly. My Meemaw drove across the field to show me one day because it was too hard to explain over the phone. Lol! Cooking is actually something I enjoy. My family seems to enjoy my food and it brings joy to me to see them eat and enjoy my food. Sounds silly but it's true.
My first Chocolate Pie
I make some mean fried chicken
Not the prettiest Coconut Cake ever but it was delish!
Brian's favorite! Chocolate oatmeal cookies.
4. I know when to keep my mouth shut or just walk away. I spent years and years being a little "hothead." Things that used to bother me don't really bother me so much anymore. Not everyone is going to like me. If you don't like me, I will try really hard to persuade you to like me but after a couple tries I'm so over it. I do still get my feelings hurt easier than I should at times but nothing like I used to.
5. I pretty much know who I can trust and who I can't. I also believe that it's ok to love people and cherish memories but know when enough is enough. If you give someone an opportunity to be part of your life and they compromise your trust in them or stab you in the back it's best to just cut ties. Some may not agree and that's fine. I just don't want to spend my time with someone that I know is going to tell things that I confide in them and tell others how I live my life.
6. I know that children are the greatest gift ever. I am blessed to have 3 and wouldn't trade them for anything in the world. I am also blessed to be part of babies coming into the lives of their parents as my job. I had a dad tell me the other day that I really knew how to pull on his heartstrings by knowing how much I cared for and loved their baby when they had to go home. These parents consider us NICU nurses a blessing but I feel like they are blessing me.
7. I feel like I finally know who I am. The old saying "be comfortable in the skin that you're in"...yeah that applies to me now. I have daily routines, a style that I am comfortable with and several other things. I think I spent a lot of time in my 20's trying to figure out who I was and at the same time I was trying to be what others wanted me to be. What you see is what you get. Take it or leave it. I know there's always room for improvement but I am not going to be changing the way that I am just to make someone else happy.
8. I know that life is precious and can be gone within a second. I know this from my own personal experiences but I work in a hospital with the only Trauma Center within a 150-mile radius. I have walked up the sidewalk and seen family members screaming and crying over sudden death. Be sure that the ones you love most know it. All it takes is a trip down the street to change your life forever.
9. I finally get what all my family members in their 70s and 80s were talking about at my wedding shower when they all said "don't go to bed mad." I was thinking ok, is this really the best marriage advice that you have? If you don't get it, refer to number 8...
10. I know who my "real" friends are and, let me tell you, "real" friends are hard to come by. I have lots and lots of acquantances but very few that I really call true friends. I think most of y'all know what I am talking about.
I could go on and on but 10 is good. Haha!
Now for a little update on what we've been up to since Friday. On Friday, I had lunch with my cousin, Natalie, at a little place on the courtsquare in my hometown. I haven't seen her in a few years so it was good to catch up. We did a little shopping afterwards, of course. I mean, in our defense, the cafe is in the same building as a store.
I wore this! One of my favorties this winter has been brown and black. Sorry you can't really see the shirt but it's a simple black and white stripe long sleeve shirt. Sorry Instagram friends...I know you've seen some of these already. (linzlee1982 on IG)
My friend is selling some super cute clothing at her boothe in a local store. I bought a new Piko style top and a necklace. Follow her on Instagram at Ophelia503!
After lunch and shopping we had cupcakes from Confetti Cupcakes. They were delicious. This one is Chocolate Chip Cheesecake. Just divine! If any local people want more info on how to order these let me know!
Brian and I went to the shooting range Friday evening. I am learning to be a better shooter and not be so scared of guns. I will def use it if I ever have to.
I worked all weekend.
Monday we took the boys to Cracker Barrel for breakfast after I got in my run for the day. Yummy! I am weak when it comes to their biscuits and hashbrown casserole. I have a similar recipe that I will share sometime this week. Tuesday was a lazy day. I did my legs and butt exercises. Lol!
Today I ran 3 miles at one of our local walking tracks. Not gonna lie, a few small 30-45 second breaks were taken. Oh, and I can't forget the break to wipe my snotty nose due to cold air and another break to get my shades because the wind was making my eyes water. Yes, I am the chic running on a cloudy day with shades. Hahaha! I think I got a little windburn on my face. It wouldn't have been so bad if the wind hadn't been blowing. I didn't run any last week. My feet and ankles were killing me. I wasn't sure if it was the new shoes or the pavement in my neighboorhood. It was def the pavement. I live in a new subdivision and they haven't done the final paving since so many heavy trucks are coming in and out to build new houses. Add bad pavement to a few hills and I overdid it.
That's all for now. I know this was kinda long. Sorry bout that! See ya tommorow!